Police arrest suspects as explosion rocks Rivers’ church

Police arrest suspects as explosion rocks Rivers’ church

A Nigerian police officer holds a bunch of handcuffs in Abuja on October 3, 2020. Sodiq Adelakun-Channels TV

Rivers State Police arrested three suspects who allegedly detonated explosives at a Pentecostal church, Christain Universal Church International, located on Mile 3, Diobu area of ​​Port Harcourt.

The church is said to be owned by the father of Rivers State Governor Nyesom Wike.

About five suspects were known to attack the church around 8 p.m. Saturday.

It was learned that the gunmen’s escape plan was blocked after men from a local security team in the area noticed strange movements and pounced.

Azikiwe Street Security Deputy Director of Security Collins Johnbull, while narrating the incident, said that one of his men was hit by a bullet in the process of pursuing the suspects and that he was currently receiving treatment at the hospital.

Johnbull said: “On Saturday November 28, 2020, while I was in my duty station, we observed some movements around 8 pm to 9 pm and we were on alert, before that we saw some strange faces, like five of them, who entered at the governor’s father’s church and we thought they were members of the church who had their normal evening schedule, but we were suspicious of them from the way they were moving.

“About five minutes after the children entered the church, there was an explosion, we heard a noise like a bomb in the church and we immediately approached the church and saw them (the suspects) jumping out of the church wearing masks and carrying guns and started shooting my men.

“By God’s grace, we were able to arrest three of the criminals who attacked the church, while two escaped. We did everything in our power to stop the bullies, as we are talking now, one of my men who was hit by a bullet is receiving treatment. “

Another member of the security team, Uche Brown, who corroborated the story, said the three suspects were detained by police.

“Around 8:43 pm, thugs who attacked the state governor’s father’s church on Azikiwe Street tried to tear down the building by throwing dynamite at it, but they were unsuccessful.

“When they noticed that the security men were approaching them, they tried to escape and we arrested three of them, while two escaped, before the arrival of the police who stopped them.”

Journalists who visited the area noted that security had been tightened to prevent a further breakdown of the peace.

The spokesman for the State Police Command, Nnamdi Omoni, confirmed the incident to one of our correspondents at the scene of the incident.

Omoni said the three people arrested in connection with the incident are assisting the police with the investigation.

He explained that the police anti-bomb unit had arrived at the scene earlier.

He said: “I can confirm the attack on the church and three suspects arrested in connection with the attack.

“They are helping us in our investigation. The church has been swept by the Bomb Department. “

Get more stories like this at Twitter

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.