Lekki Shootings: Four Generals, Others Testify Before Panel Today

After a week off, the Lagos State Judicial Investigation Panel investigating the alleged shooting of #EndSARS protesters at the Lekki tollbooth by soldiers on the night of October 20 will resume its sessions today (Saturday) .

The panel led by retired judge Doris Okuwobi was suspended on November 7 when its proceedings were thwarted by the inability to form a quorum due to the boycott of the session by the two members of the youth panel protesting against the freezing of the bank account of promoters of #EndSARS by the Federal Government through the Central Bank of Nigeria.

The Nigerian Army, which was scheduled to testify before the panel at the time, was unable to do so.

The panel set today that the Nigerian Army will again give its testimony.

The Nigerian military has included three brigadier generals and a lieutenant colonel, who will testify before the panel.

The top military officers, whose sworn statements have already been forwarded to the panel, are the Commander of the 81st Military Intelligence Brigade, Victoria Island, Lagos, Brig. General Ahmed Taiwo; Chief of Staff, 81st Division, Nigerian Army, VI, Lagos, Brig. General Nsikak Edet; Commander, Garrison 81st Division, VI, Brig. General Francis Omata; Commander, 9th Brigade, Ikeja, Brig. General Musa Etsu-Ndagi; and Commander of Battalion 65, Camp Bonny, VI, Lieutenant Colonel Salisu Bello.

The military said they will bring before the panel “spent blank ammunition, which was used to disperse the crowd by shooting into the air on October 20, 2020; unexpended 7.62mm ammunition (a detailed explanation of the use of this ammunition will be given at the hearing); a spent live ammunition and also an unspent live ammunition (a detailed explanation of these ammunition will be given at the hearing); 13 USB sticks containing the recorded videos of the Army’s involvement in the incident and the British Broadcasting Corporation’s news report on the incident and other stations. “

Victims of SARS brutality recount the ordeal in C’River, Ekiti

Meanwhile, victims of SARS brutality have recounted their ordeals at the hands of state personnel.

They spoke during the session of the judicial panels established by the state governments.

In addition, a victim of police brutality in Calabar recounted how the police broke into her home, arrested her and took her to Lagos in a nightgown.

The victim, Scholastica Ojeka, who was a nursing mother at the time of the incident on September 4, 2014, recounted her ordeal before the Judicial Investigative Panel on Brutality and Police Restitution in Calabar on Friday.

The official told the panel headed by retired judge Michael Edem that she and her husband had paid a rent of N340,000 for an apartment to a landlord and moved in only for another man to come forward and claim to be the landlord.

Ojeka, who testified under oath, recounted how she was arrested with her baby in her Calabar apartment on September 4, 2014 by Nigerian Police men and taken to Alagbon in Lagos.

“We were detained in Lagos until my husband went to the Force headquarters in Abuja to lodge a complaint and was ordered to let us go. In fact, one of them, while apologizing, said that I didn’t tell him that we had someone in Abuja, ”he said.

She demanded the sum of N500m and an apology in a national newspaper as compensation.

The chair of the panel, Judge Michael Edem, suspended the session until Thursday, November 19.

Furthermore, Ms Ogunleye Ajayi, wife of a late Sergeant Musiliu Ajayi from the disbanded SARS, told the Ekiti State Judicial Panel on Human Rights Violations by police officers and others that her husband’s death remained a mystery. .

The woman, a mother of four, told the panel that she still did not know the cause of death for her husband, who left home to work safely on January 2, 2019, but died less than two hours later.

She said under questioning on Friday: “My husband, who left home on January 2, 2019 at 6.30 am, never came home alive. I got an emergency call from the Ado Ekiti Police Hospital at 8:30 am only to get there to find that her husband was dead.

“There were strange bruises on my husband’s body and the motorcycle he was riding on was parked at the police station. I have not received any help from any person, group of people or any organization for the care of my children, “he said.

The woman, however, sought help from the government for the care, needs and education of her children, which she said was now very difficult for her because her husband was the breadwinner of the family.

His attorney, Samson Osobu, told the panel that three witnesses would testify about the case.

The panel requested the police investigation report on the matter and then adjourned the case to continue on November 24, 2020.

Meanwhile, Osun State Deputy Governor Benedict Alabi has suggested how future Nigerian protests could be organized to achieve results.

Alabi, who spoke in Iwo on the sidelines of an event organized by the leadership of the Congress of All Progressives for the adoption of Governor Adegboyega Oyetola for another term, said that a protest without a leader would be hijacked.

Source: – Punch ng