Norde Sylvester, a 50-year-old man, recounted how his daughter died after being hit by a SARS bullet, The PUNCH reports.
The man said Wednesday that a bullet from the weapon of the disbanded Special Anti-Theft Squad personnel killed his three-day-old daughter in Port Harcourt, Rivers state.
Sylvester, a Universal Basic Education official, spoke at the Rivers State Judicial Commission of Inquiry hearing on Police Brutality in Port Harcourt.
He said the incident occurred on October 15, 2015, at his residence in Rumuohalu, near Port Harcourt.
“That day, I was with my family in our house at no. 9 Hon Close, in Omodudoro, a few meters from the SARS office on Nelson Mandela Road.
“There were shootings by SARS men that continued until we went to sleep. We woke up in the morning to find that one of his bullets penetrated the ceiling and killed my only daughter, a three-day-old baby.
“I picked up the bullet and went to the SARS office. When I arrived I told them that they had killed my daughter.
“Two of the SARS men ordered me to return, threatening that if I did not leave, I would be reunited with my daughter,” he said.
However, the attorney for the Police Commissioner, Ms. Mercy Nweke, during cross-examination, criticized the petitioners’ complaint, wondering why she did not report the matter to the police station, noting that the bullet was not sufficient proof that her daughter had been killed. by the SARS men.
Nweke said: “This is ammunition (referring to the bullet). Has not been used. Something that has not been used cannot kill anyone. “
But the commission’s attorney, SO Inko-Tariah, objected, saying that Nweke was not an expert and could not determine whether or not the bullet was used.
The chairman of the commission, Judge Chukwunenye Uriri (retired), said that the evidence provided by the petitioner was in the public interest and admitted it as evidence, asking Sylvester what he wanted.
“All I need is justice for my baby who was killed and also my house that was damaged”, Sylvester replied.
Also, a 40-year-old man, Tamunodiepreye Akalugogbo, told the panel that SARS men killed his 14-year-old son during the #EndSARS protest in the Oyigbo local government area in October.
Akalugogbo explained that after the deployment of soldiers in Oyigbo after the protest, people ran riot, but his son was nowhere to be found.
“So we started looking for him and we found him on the road in a pool of blood with a gunshot wound.” said the petitioner.