Hoodlums Detonate Explosives In Wike Father’s Church

In what will seem like a truly shocking event, some thugs have detonated explosives at a church in Rivers, reports The PUNCH.

Rivers State Police arrested three suspects who allegedly detonated the explosives at a Pentecostal church, Christian Universal Church International, located on Mile 3, Diobu area of ​​Port Harcourt.

The church is said to be owned by the father of Rivers State Governor Nyesom Wike.

About five suspects were known to attack the church around 8 p.m. Saturday.

It was learned that the gunmen’s escape plan was blocked after men from a local security team in the area noticed strange movements and pounced.

Azikiwe Street Security Deputy Director of Security Collins Johnbull, while narrating the incident, said that one of his men was hit by a bullet in the process of pursuing the suspects and that he was currently receiving treatment at the hospital.

Johnbull said: “On Saturday, November 28, 2020, while I was at my guard post, we observed some movements around 8 pm to 9 pm and we were on alert, before that we saw some strange faces, like five of them, who entered the Governor’s father’s church and we thought they were members of the church that had their normal evening schedule, but we were suspicious of them from the way they were moving.

“About five minutes after the children entered the church, there was an explosion, we heard a noise like a bomb in the church and we immediately approached the church and saw them (the suspects) jumping out of the church wearing masks and carrying guns and started shooting my men.

“By God’s grace, we were able to arrest three of the criminals who attacked the church, while two escaped. We did everything in our power to stop the bullies, as we are talking now, one of my men who was hit by a bullet is receiving treatment. “

Another member of the security team, Uche Brown, who corroborated the story, said the three suspects were detained by police.

“Around 8:43 pm, thugs who attacked the state governor’s father’s church on Azikiwe Street tried to tear down the building by throwing dynamite at it, but they were unsuccessful.

“When they noticed that the security men were approaching them, they tried to escape and we arrested three of them, while two escaped, before the arrival of the police who stopped them.”

Our correspondent who visited the area observed that security had been tightened to prevent a further breakdown of the peace.

Details later …