More revelations have emerged about the atrocities of the missing Special Anti Robbery Squad (SARS) in Anambra, southeastern Nigeria, as the families of the victims continue to testify at the Judicial Panel of Investigation (JPI) established to investigate cases of extrajudicial killings and police. brutality.
One of those who testified before the panel was Emmanuel Iloanya, who said he raised more than N27 million from the sale of three properties, including the place where he buried his second daughter to secure the release of his 20-year-old son, Chijioke, who He was arrested on November 29, 2012.
Iloanya unknowingly said that her son was dead, but police officers, human rights activists and other intermediaries stripped him of his money, promising to help secure his son’s freedom.
He said his son was arrested in a naming ceremony by officers from the Ajali Division who refused to allow his wife to release him, but then transferred him to the SARS facility in Awkuzu the following day.
The distraught father revealed that he received the shock of his life and when James Nwafor, the commanders of SARS Awkuzu, told him and his wife that their son had been “lost and nothing will happen”.
He said his son’s death was painful, but that it would have been comforting to see his son’s corpse and bury it himself, even as he insisted his son was not dead yet.
“In Awkuzu, they denied having arrested him, but on our second visit I saw my son at the door of the SARS chained and handcuffed,” Iloanya said.
“When my wife asked him what he said nothing but just gestured that nothing.
“Suddenly, James Nwafor, the SARS commander ran out of his office and started harassing us, pushing my wife. I went to Bala Nassarawa, the police commissioner who assured me that my son will not die. “
“The PC summoned Nwafor, but he did not respond, so he said he should wait after Christmas. To my surprise, the PC told me that my son died during a gun battle with the police. I told him no, I was here and he (CP) assured me that nothing will happen to him ”.
He told the panel how the then-SARS commander that his son was missing.
“When I saw Nwafor he told me ‘I’m sorry to tell you that your son is lost, you can’t do anything to get out of this office’ and my wife collapsed,” Iloanya said.
“I sold properties, three properties for N12 million, N8 million and N7 million. I spent all of this trying to secure my son’s release, but they told me lies when they found out my son was dead. “
He lamented that a cemetery where he had buried his late daughter two years before the incident was among the properties he sold to secure his son’s release.
“I sold it for this matter, I sold the land where I buried my second daughter,” said Iloanya, who insisted that all he wanted is justice.
“I have spent what this panel can give me, I want justice, for the government to bring these policemen here to tell me what my son did,” he said.
Abdul Mahmud, a human rights lawyer who appeared for Iloanya told the panel that his client had credible evidence against Nwafor, including his Tweet where he admitted that he was the commander when Chijioke was killed.
Mahmud said the panel should summon him to appear and answer the allegations against him personally.
Innocent Obi, a police superintendent (SP) who appeared before the police, said he needed time to respond to the questions raised and his request was granted by the chair of the panel, Judge Veronica Umeh.
Source: – Humangle