A court has issued an order calling on the Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria, CBN, Godwin Emefiele, to account for all COVID-19 donations made to the country.
The Federal High Court, Abuja, issued the order on Monday by granting a lawsuit, seeking to request a judicial review and a mandamus order to force to provide details of financial donations received by the country in connection with the coronavirus pandemic.
Mandamus is a judicial recourse in the form of an order from a court to any government, subordinate court, corporation or public authority, to perform some specific act that that body is required by law to perform, and that is of a public nature. duty. Judge Inyang Ekwo issued the ruling in a lawsuit filed by the Socioeconomic Rights and Responsibility Project (SERAP) and the Heda Resource Center as the first and second applicants respectively.
The Nigerian News Agency (NAN) reports that the group, in an ex parte motion marked: FHC / ABJ / CS / 1456/2020, listed the CBN governor as the sole defendant. Ekwo also granted his request to request an order stating that the failure of the CBN to provide the plaintiff with information on the sources of the donations, how they are being applied, among others, amounted to a violation of the applicant’s rights under Freedom of Agreement. Information Act and African Chatter on Human and Peoples’ Rights.
It ordered the plaintiff to submit, within seven days, a formal request for the requested orders, which must be served on the defendant within seven days. The judge also ordered the defendant, upon notification, to present his answer within 30 days.
The applicants, in a supporting affidavit, said they were seeking “An order stating that the defendant’s failure to publish and provide full details of the financial donations received to respond to the emergence of COVID-19 to date; Detailed list of the names of the donors (individual, corporate and international organizations), the sources of the donations and the amount contributed by each of the natural and legal persons, as well as the dates on which each donation was received by the CBN constitutes a breach of the rights of applicants under the Freedom of Information Act 2011 and the African Charter on Human and Peoples’ Rights. “
They claimed that their appeal to the court was informed by the fact that the CBN governor did not provide the information requested in his letters dated July 29 and September 30. “It is widely reported that about 15 billion naira in monetary contributions are currently in the account established under the Private Sector Coalition against COVID-19 (CACOVID) and domiciled with the defendant.
“The applicant is seriously concerned that the largest proportion of Nigerians, including the poorest and most vulnerable people, have so far not benefited from the announced federal government and private sector palliative, donations, cash payments, cash transfers and other benefits.
“The public’s interest in granting access to the requested information is far greater than any other interest that the respondent may be trying to preserve,” they said.