Ahmad Lawan: Ignore Senators’ Jumbo Pay, Focus On Our Work

Ahmad Lawan: Ignore Senators’ Jumbo Pay, Focus On Our Work

Nigerian Senate Speaker Ahmad Lawan has called on Nigerians to demand accountability and performance from lawmakers and the legislature at large rather than questioning the “huge payment” received by lawmakers.


He made this call on Friday while speaking at a retreat for the senior leadership of the National Assembly and the National Assembly Service Commission in Abuja.

The legislator said that the funding the National Assembly receives is inadequate and, as a result, “many legislators struggle to do things for themselves.”

“Can we debate the functions of the National Assembly instead of talking about the jumbo pay? Where is the jumbo payment? We should look for good value for money.

“So when we always debate ‘jumbo pay’ instead of what the roles should be and we hold ourselves accountable for what we can or cannot do; ask what you think we should be doing instead of saying shut down the Senate or shut down the National Assembly. Do you understand the implication of this? ” he said.

Lawan complained that the National Assembly receives less than 1 percent of the nation’s budget and that the call for pay cuts is “out of place.”

“… In a budget of more than N13 billion, the National Assembly will have a budget of N125 to N128 billion. What percentage is that? It is less than 1 percent. So where is the remaining 99 percent?

A former Kaduna senator, Shehu Sani, had revealed in 2018 that each senator earns ₦ 13.5 million as a monthly ‘running cost’. This is in addition to the consolidated monthly salary of £ 700,000.

He said it would be better for Nigerians to replace the current group of lawmakers with new and better representatives “rather than calling for the dismantling of the National Assembly and other debates over alleged giant salaries and subsidies.”

Source: Premium Times